Qualifications for Medical Transport to the VAMC.
- You must be a Medina County resident.
- You must be able to enter and exit the van without assistance except wheelchair bound/users. Scooters will not fit in our van; it must be a wheelchair.
- Wheelchair users must be unable to transfer on their own.
- The only authorized riders other than the veteran will be on a case-by-case basis. The veteran must have a medical need for someone to accompany them (i.e. Spouse, caregiver, etc.) Wheelchair users must have someone accompany them if they are unable to roll their chair on and off the van on their own.
- If your cognitive ability is such that you need someone to assist you at the medical center some can ride with you (medical proof may be required).
- Rides should be scheduled as soon as possible with our office. Wheelchair rides must be made no later that 1-week prior to the appointment in order to secure your ride (no exceptions).
Our office can provide transportation for veterans to the following VA Healthcare facilities:
- VAMC – Louis Stokes Hospital; Cleveland, Ohio – Monday through Friday
- VAMC – Parma CBOC; Parma, Ohio – Monday through Friday
- VAMC – Akron CBOC; Akron, Ohio – Monday through Friday
Our regularly scheduled runs go to Cleveland, Parma and Akron, Monday through Friday. We ask that you make your appointments between the hours of 9:00 am and 12 noon. (Tell them you are a van rider).
The vans leave promptly from our office at 8:00 am. The van will depart no later than 3:00P pm back to Medina. If you need transportation to our office call the Medina County Public Transit at (330) 723-9670 to schedule a ride to our office. We will pay your fair to and from our office.
Wheelchair riders will be given a time for our van to pick them up. There is no need to contact MCPT. Your driveway must be clear of all debris (i.e. snow, trash, etc.). Our van is a right-side load vehicle, and your residence must accommodate, or we cannot transport. You are responsible for getting to and from the vehicle as well as loading yourself up the ramp.
In some cases, you will not be able to schedule your appointments to coincide with our regular schedule. In those cases, we will attempt to accommodate you, but we cannot guarantee that transportation will be available in every case. There is no charge for this service. However, by using the van service, you are not eligible to receive travel pay from the VA. Utilizing our service and receiving travel pay from the VA is a prosecutable offense.
Call (330) 722-9368 to schedule your ride.
Please call us as soon as you know you have an appointment scheduled.
***If you do not schedule your transportation and just show up, you are going space available and may be turned away.
Medina County Veterans can ride Medina County Public Transit buses for FREE!
Starting July 1, 2018 Veterans with a Medina County Veterans Identification Card can ride the Medina County Public Transit free of charge anywhere within Medina County. The veteran must present the Medina County Veterans ID Card to the driver in order to ride free.
NO OTHER IDENTIFICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED FOR A FREE RIDE.
- Medina County Transit will not transport out of Medina County.
- This benefit does not apply to any other transportation available in Medina County.
- The Medina County Veterans ID Card are available from the Medina County Recorders Office, located in the Medina County Administration Building, 144 N. Broadway St., Medina, OH.
- You must be eligible for a Medina County Veterans Identification Card. The following is needed in order to obtain the Medina County
Veterans ID Card:
- Original or certified copy of DD214 or discharge to be recorded
- Driver’s license or State ID Card
Contact the Medina County Veterans Service Office (330) 722-9368 or the Medina County Recorder’s Office (330) 725-9782 with any questions concerning the ID card.
Visit Medina County Transit website for bus schedule at https://medinacountytransit.org/ or call to schedule a pick up (330) 723-9670.