We’re looking for a summer intern! Are you a collage student looking for some extra cash this summer? All while sharpening your skills for once you graduate? What to do something that is not only rewarding but also gives back to those who have given so much to this country?
Then this summer staff internship is perfect for you. 20-40 hours a week working at the Medina County Veterans Services Office. You will be assisting in our front office meeting and greeting veterans and their families.
Interested applicants should submit a competed application, cover letter and resume to:
Application MCVSO 2020
MCVSO Internship 2023
Position: Staff Internship
Supervisors: Veterans Service Commission
Program Description: Medina County Veterans Service Office (MCVSO) is a state mandated, county agency that provides financial relief/assistance to the Veterans of Medina County, Ohio. We are accredited through the Ohio Department of Veterans Services (ODVS) to provide assistance with all matters dealing with the Department of Veterans Affairs. Common issues handled include housing, health, income maintenance, long-term care, consumer issues, elder care, federal, state, county veteran’s benefits counseling. We host seminars as well as community events that seek out our clients that are in need of assistance. Our office works closely with the Medina County Job and Family Service (JFS) and the Office for Older Adults agency.
Receptionist Job Purpose:
Serves visitors by greeting, welcoming, and directing them appropriately; notifies company personnel of visitor arrival; maintains security and telecommunications system.
Principal duties may include:
• Welcomes visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.
• Directs visitors by employee and department directories; giving instructions.
• Maintains security by following procedures; monitoring.
• Maintains telecommunication system by following manufacturer’s instructions for house phone and console operation.
• Maintains safe and clean reception area by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
• Maintains continuity among work teams by documenting and communicating actions, irregularities, and continuing needs.
• Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
• Basic Clerical and filing.
• Provide assistance and advocacy for individual clients.
• Filling out and filing government papers.
• Perform additional duties as assigned, consistent with qualifications.
Telephone Skills, Verbal Communication, Microsoft Office Skills, Listening, Professionalism, Customer Focus, Organization, Informing Others, Handles Pressure, Phone Skills, Supply Management
• Ability to analyze, develop and implement a work plan.
• Work independently and accept supervision.
• Interview clients in a professional and courteous manner.
• Take notes and document activities in an organized manner.
• Act as a client advocate.
• Evaluate, assess and make proper referrals.
• Good communication skills – both oral and written.
• An ability to relate to the client community and communicate with clients effectively.
• Deal with issues affecting seniors and/or low-income Veterans.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and work in a professional manner with a variety of individuals.
• Ability to communicate & work with a multi-faceted team of professionals.
• Ability to collaborate with social services agencies and other service providing staff to implement services and programs.
• Relate and communicate with the clients, community, and community organizations; network with other social service organizations and find resources.
• Have good listening skills and help clients feel at ease during the interview.
• Applicants must have completed at least two years of their undergraduate degree.
• Must complete screening and interview process.
Job/relationship: MCVSO will host one Internship student as a Receptionist Staff Internship who will work under the direction of the Director/Veterans Service Officer and the Office Manager.
This is a 20-40 hour a week paid position.
Interested applicants should submit completed application along with a resume and cover letter:
Medina County Veterans Service Office
C/o: Edward Zackery
210 Northland Dr.
Medina, Ohio 44256
Or email to:
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at 330-722-9368.