Medina County Veterans Service Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Click the links below to download the application or call our off and we will send you one.
Mail application and DD 214 to:
Medina County Veterans Service Commission
210 Northland Drive,
Medina, Ohio 44256
PH: (330) 722-9368
FAX: (330) 722-9378
Email application and DD 214 to:
Deadline to submit application is Open
VAN DRIVER – Part Time
Under direction of the Director/Service Officer or their appointee, operates a passenger van on deviated fixed route and/or demand response basis. Transports, assists, and escorts passengers to and/or from designated locations. Maintains records, logs, and reports, identifying passenger cancellations and no shows, vehicle inspection reports, mileage logs; Ensures safety of van and passengers by enforcing rules of conduct and operation; Adheres to check-in and check-out times as scheduled; Performs pre-and post-trip vehicle inspections to identify damaged or defective equipment and performs minor maintenance; Enters all trip data on manifest as trips are performed; Completes daily report forms; Cleans vehicle.
This is a part time hourly position 20-29 hours a week (No Benefits); Workday is from 7:30 – 4:00 PM unless otherwise directed; overtime is subject to approval per County Policy.
***In Accordance with the Ohio Revised Code Title 59 the applicant must be a veteran or, if a qualified veteran is not available, the spouse, surviving spouse, child, or parent of a veteran.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates passenger van on a deviated fixed route or demand-response basis; Receives daily driving assignments and schedules and modifies routes as needed based on passengers, no shows, or other changes caused by changing service needs; picks up and discharges passengers either at our office or where indicated; Maintains communication with office at all
- Promotes a positive image of Medina County Veterans Service Office by fostering positive public relations, provides passengers with transit information and ensures they have round trip transportation free of charge; Assists passengers needing help boarding and departing
- Ensures van and passenger safety by enforcing rules of conduct and operation; Ensures seat/shoulder belts and lap belts are properly fastened; Enters all trip data on manifest as trips are performed; Maintains records, logs, and reports identifying passenger cancellations and no shows, vehicle inspection reports and enters them into database
- Performs pre-and post-trip vehicle inspections to identify damaged or defective equipment; keeps alert for mechanical or other equipment problems requiring attention; performs minor maintenance to vehicle en-route; reports accidents and equipment malfunctions to proper Completes daily report forms, which record passengers, mechanical defects, and necessary supplies, etc; cleans interior and exterior of vehicle. Performs work safely in accordance with departmental safety procedures, County safety program and Department of Transportation standards (DOT).
- Reports unusual, unsafe or emergencies such as stranded motorist, drunk drivers, hazardous road conditions etc; Checks van for lost items and reports same, turns in lost
- Participates in informational and training meetings; Provides input to Director/Service Officer in a respectful manner; Provides feedback concerning operating policies and procedures; Attends meetings, programs, and in-service training as assigned; Maintains current required licenses and certificates.
- Performs general department duties as assigned and assists with other duties when unusual circumstances occur as assigned.
***Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job.
|KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES||PRINCIPLE DUTIES|
|Knowledge||1) Operation of passenger van;|
2) Driver/vehicle health & safety regulations;
3) Basic mathematics;
4) Traffic laws rules involved in operating a passenger bus;
5) Street names & locations*;
6) Principal causes of van/vehicle malfunctions & appropriate preventive measures;
7) Medina County policies & procedures*;
8) Veterans Affairs Medical Centers within a 75 mile radius;*
9) First Aide/CPR*
|Operates passenger bus on a deviated fixed route or demand-response basis;|
Maintains scheduled route; Geography of County;
Ensures safety of bus & passengers while on route
Enforces rules of conduct & operation; Performs minor vehicle maintenance en route; Provides passengers with schedule and route
Information ensures round trip transportation at no cost to passenger;
Escorts passengers in accordance with assistance requirements
|Skills||10) Effectively communicate in English, both orally & in writing;|
11) Deal with public in a courteous & tactful manner;
12) Establish & maintain effective working relationships;
13) Exercise good judgment & problem-solving skills;
14) Handle diverse work problems on daily basis;
15) Interact with people in a culturally diverse environment;
16) Remain calm in adverse weather conditions, crowded traffic conditions, & when dealing with irate or disorderly passengers;
17) Work independently with minimal supervision, as well as work within a team environment;
18) Administer First Aide/CPR;
|Operate passenger van on a fixed route or demand-response basis;|
Picks up & discharge passengers, from designated locations;
Modifies route as directed by office; Maintains communication with office via cell phone;
Promotes positive image of Medina County & Medina County Veterans’ Service Office (MCVSO) by fostering positive public relations;
Escorts passengers in accordance with assistance requirements;
Ensures passenger safety;
|Ability||19) Set priorities & work schedule, yet adjust to changes necessitated by last minute assignments & deadline requests that may prove stressful;|
20) Operate assigned equipment in a safe manner;
21) Adhere to time schedules;
22) Understand & follow oral & written instructions spoken or written in English;
23) Establish/maintain effective working relationships;
24) Communicate clearly & concisely, both orally in writing;
25) Demonstrate self-motivation, service to the public, & willingness to do a good job ;
26) Complete accurate & timely written reports;
27) Seek clarification, ask questions when uncertain of expectations;
28) Work odd hours on various days of the week, including
|Ensures passenger/bus safety;|
Operates passenger van on a fixed route or demand-response basis;
Picks up & discharge s passengers; Maintains communication with office via cell phone;
Works varying hours including early morning, late evening, & on weekend;
Assists passengers needing help boarding & departing vehicle;
Enter all data on into log;
Performs pre-& post-trip vehicle inspections; Performs minor vehicle maintenance en route; Cleans interior & exterior of vehicle;
Provides passengers with schedule and route
29) Read, write & make basic arithmetic calculations;
30) Maintain records of passengers & complete end-of- month/year reports;
31) Administer first aide/CPR;
|Information ensures round trip transportation at no cost to passenger;|
*Learned after employment
MINIMUM CLASS REQUIREMENTS
- High school diploma or
- Two (2) years of verifiable driving experience and one (1) year of experience dealing with the general public or any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience providing the knowledge, abilities, and skills cited
- Valid Ohio driver’s license; ability to obtain Commercial Driver’s License (Class C) with passenger endorsement or ability to obtain within one month of appointment (if required) and proof of adequate vehicle
- No record of more than two total moving violations and/or accidents within the last three
- No record of operating a vehicle while under the influence (OWI).
- No serious accidents within the last five
- No record of revoked or suspended driver’s license in last five
- No record of hit and run
- Meet DOT standards for van drivers required by the
COMPETENCIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- The demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to discern verbal instructions and communicate effectively in person and on a cell
- Sufficient visual acuity or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate a commercial passenger van;
- Sufficient visual acuity or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodation comprehend written work instructions and to review, evaluate, and prepare a variety of written documents and text materials as well as basic computer
- Regularly required to stand, walk, use stairs, sit; use of hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and
- Sufficient manual dexterity, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits the employee to operate a commercial motor
- Physical strength and agility sufficient to assist large, elderly and/or disabled individuals to and from a commercial passenger vehicle including utilizing extensive pushing, pulling, bending, stooping and lifting is an essential function of this
- Requires obtaining and exchanging information, referring inquiries to the appropriate source, or responding to questions from the general public.